by Molly Saunders
For centuries, princesses have been well-known for having many positive attributes. Here we share some tips for all ages about how to be a beary kind modern-day princess. Please keep in mind, these are just ideas, and all children should work with their parents or an adult they trust to find ways to help their community.
1. Be kind. Princesses show kindness to every person they meet. Be sure to use the magic words ‘please’ and ‘thank you’- each time you ask for something or are given something. Even if you didn’t ask for it, it shows your inner princess when you show appreciation for receiving a gift, however small it may be.
2. Have good manners. Princesses are always polite. Just as you would say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’, remember to keep your elbows off the table when you are eating and don’t play with your food. Setting a good example for those around you is always a good thing!
3. Be a good listener. Try your best not to interrupt others when they are speaking or telling a story. Princesses become beary smart because they learn a lot from other people by listening. If you think you are going to forget something beary important that you want to share with someone who is speaking, quickly jot it down on a notepad. Then, you can share it when the other person is finished. They will be grateful that you gave them your full attention.
4. Be charitable. Princesses are very giving. Even if you think you don’t have a lot to give, it doesn’t take much to help someone out. Clean out your closet and donate anything you haven’t worn in a long time. Or, find out what kind of items your local food bank is looking for, either from a church, scouting or neighborhood group, and set up a collection from your friends and family. Ask members of the community how you can help their organization or even just write some thank you notes to people you love, like friends and family, just for being there for you! A little giving can go a long way.
5. Be confident. Remember that if you say you can, you can. Try not to use the word ‘can’t.’ If you put your mind to it, there is always a way to get it done. Know that you are strong and beautiful on the inside and out. Don’t let others tell you that you aren’t good at something or that you won’t be able to accomplish something difficult. Instead, tell them you can do it, and then extend a hand of friendship to see if they’d like to help. Most of the time, people who put others down just feel lonely, so try including them in the task. Who knows, you might make a new friend!
6. Smile! If there is one thing princesses are good at, it’s spreading happiness throughout the land. Not only do smiles use fewer muscles, which should make them easier to wear than a frown, they are also contagious, in a good way. When you see someone else smile, it is beary hard to keep yourself from smiling as well. Why not try being someone else’s beacon of happiness? You never know how many people you could help just by spreading smiles to everyone you encounter.
What other ways can you think of to be a modern-day princess? Are there any princess qualities we left out?